PALEO AND LOW CARB LIFESTYLE

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can't out exercise a bad diet

4 posters

Go down

Can't out exercise a bad diet Empty Can't out exercise a bad diet

Post  chickenbackside Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:19 am

Hi guys!

Wah, our own little space, haha...

Anyway, to start things off, I'm posting this little article written by quite an "extremist" in the low carb world, Charles Washington, that I think it's number one in the scheme of things.

Eat right and you'd have won more than half the war on bad health.

http://blog.zeroinginonhealth.com/2010/12/26/exercise-no-help-against-bad-diet/

Exercise No Help Against Bad Diet

I’ve written many times that one cannot out run or out lift a bad diet. It’s amazing to me how many people think that this is possible. It’s not. Get over it already. If you eat carbohydrates, you have a great chance of ruining your metabolism such that you will gain weight as you age. Exercise will not reverse it. Just because you are not gaining weight in middle age, that does not mean that carbohydrates aren’t affecting you. Only the lucky ones get fat.

You may be fat and are not feeling particularly lucky. I understand that. But think about it this way: You have something in your body letting you know that something is wrong. Now, you may take the wrong action in response to that clear message, but at least you had a chance. For those who do not get fat as a result of carbohydrate consumption, you are at risk to develop a more sinister symptom of metabolic syndrome without much warning. One in two of us suffer from some symptom of metabolic syndrome in our lifetime so we need to pay attention.

A 20-year study found that people who maintained a high level of activity were less likely to gain weight than others, and women had better success than men, according to the latest sensational headline. If I stopped right there, you would be pointing your finger at me saying, “See, I told you so, you were wrong!” There is a huge “but.”

But even the most active participants still succumbed to the effects of a slower metabolism that accompanies middle age

You still want to wag that finger? I didn’t think so. Yet another example of the experts jumping the gun on the benefits of exercise as they do in most other cases. Nevertheless, they will still insist that you need to continue to exercise anyway despite the fact that you cannot prevent the weight gain that is sure to come.

That’s the problem with preventive medicine. They install the intervention long before the results are in. With the scientific method, we have a hypothesis, followed by a theory, and then perhaps a law. Before we get to that point, we’re supposed to try our best to disprove our hypothesis. Not so with medicine. They go straight to law while the tests are being conducted. You never hear about the disproven hypothesis — and even when you do, you are so far into belief in the hypothesis that you refuse to believe it even though the evidence is all around you. The notion of exercise just seems right. We remember running around as youngsters with no weight or health issues. But we forget that we didn’t run to exercise. We exercised because we felt like it. The question we need to be asking is, “why don’t we feel like exercising?” That’s a better question which actually has a scientifically proven answer.

Medicine is a science that functions as a religion as my friend Taubes opined in his book, Good Calories, Bad Calories.

The damage that carbohydrates inflict is slow. It seems that weight is within our control since it happens so slowly, but the evidence is all around us that it’s simply not. For all of our calorie counting, we still only manage to put on about a pound or two per year in middle age which requires incredible precision. Despite that, we’re unable to prevent the gain. We get no credit for trying either. We didn’t get fat because we quit exercising. We got fat and therefore we quit exercising. That’s why exercise will not reverse the problem. It did not cause it. Our metabolism was broken and therefore it sapped our willingness to exercise. Only by repairing the metabolism (restrict carbohydrates) can we regain the will to exercise.

If you restrict the carbohydrate intake, you can easily reverse the trend, but it takes some sacrifice in the short term, and a lifestyle change in the long term. Your world must not revolve around stuffing your gullet. You need to realize that there is so much more to life than just food. Find other reasons to get together and enjoy each other’s company. Everything does not require food.

This is the major lifestyle intervention necessary to reverse middle-age weight gain. I have done it. I lost 83 pounds and haven’t looked back. I exercise less each year, yet my weight is fine. I’ve been sitting around snowed in all weekend and I won’t gain a pound. I haven’t shoveled snow, gone for a run or any of that. I just eat properly and there is nothing else to worry about. Stop all the running around and just eat properly.

chickenbackside

Back to top Go down

Can't out exercise a bad diet Empty Re: Can't out exercise a bad diet

Post  uncle2 Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:00 pm

I exercise cause i know I can't avoid some carbs
when eating out, though it minimal.

uncle2

Back to top Go down

Post  xtrocious Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:16 pm

Combination of both is best lol

Eating right and exercising regularly haha

I love the high that working out gives - even if it's a brisk swim Very Happy Very Happy

xtrocious

Back to top Go down

Post  uncle2 Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:47 pm

true, especially after jogging.Before this
diet, I used to jog everyday but very slow
improvement on weigh loss.

uncle2

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:20 pm

I was training 3hr sessions, and 6hrs on Saturdays, and I was totally screwed on the inside.
I lost so much mass now, hey, someone saw me last night at the NTUC and his jaw dropped. Cool
uncle2 wrote:true, especially after jogging.Before this
diet, I used to jog everyday but very slow
improvement on weigh loss.

Admin
Admin

https://paleolifestyle.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  xtrocious Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:30 am

Anyway, the masses still don't get it...sigh

In today's "Mind Your Body" supplement, they showcase this guy - Paul Yeo

When asked about whether he counts his calories and why...he replied that if he overeats that day, he will compensate for it by increasing his exercise intensity the next day Razz

xtrocious

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:50 am

xtrocious wrote:Anyway, the masses still don't get it...sigh

In today's "Mind Your Body" supplement, they showcase this guy - Paul Yeo

When asked about whether he counts his calories and why...he replied that if he overeats that day, he will compensate for it by increasing his exercise intensity the next day Razz

A lot of people cannot accept the fact that this works.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  xtrocious Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:16 am

but they have no problems accepting that people can walk on water Laughing

xtrocious

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:17 am

xtrocious wrote:but they have no problems accepting that people can walk on water Laughing

Was at my optometrist today, he couldn't believe what I was telling him. His assistant also
Kept smiling as if it was all a joke and another one said I looked haggled, how can I be haggled
When just because I didn't shave my face!! Neither could they believe what I told them on how to eat.

Well....I tried. Razz

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down