PALEO AND LOW CARB LIFESTYLE

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My training and diet

+2
Admin
masterpiecemarvin
6 posters

Go down

My training and diet Empty My training and diet

Post  masterpiecemarvin Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:48 pm

First off, i need to apologise for what might seem a haughty username. I used to be fat and out of shape, and i want to use this as a way to remind me to constantly stay in shape. In fact, I also registered a new MSN nick with the same name.

Anyways, this is my little training routine and diet. Nothing too complicated, which is something that I like and I feel would suffice for most beginners. If any pros out there think that I can do better pls feel free to give me some advice. Thanks!

Training:
4/5 times a week. All my exercises are done in 4 sets and usually in ascending weight and decreasing reps. I usually start with 10-12 reps first.
Warm-ups: If I am training upper body: 4 sets of chin-ups superset with 4 sets of dips (8 – 10 reps each)
If I am training lower body: 2 sets of light squats superset with 2 sets of leg extension (8 - 10 reps each)

The reason why I choose to do chip-ups and dips is because they hit a lot of muscle groups at the same time from chest, shoulders, back to even abs. I do this for all my upper body days, from chest, shoulders to back days.

Day 1: Back
Lats pull-down
Seated row
Deadlifts
Bent-over row
T-bar row

Day 2: Chest
Decline bench press
Incline dumbbell press
Flat benchpress
Flyes
Dumbbell pullovers

Day 3: Legs
Squats
Wide-legged Squats
Leg Extension
Leg Presses
Seated Leg Curls

Day 4: Shoulders
Front Barbell Presses
Rear Barbell Presses
Arnold’s Press
Upright Rows
Shrugs

I finish all my workouts (upper and lower body) with abs training. My abs training are basic too, just cable crunches and the captain chair’s leg raise, but I superset them. About once or twice a week when I have the time I will also incorporate a 35mins cross trainer session after my abs training.

As you can see I don’t do my arms much, I only do it like once every few weeks. And even so I do it light as I can’t lift heavy with a broken biceps tendon and I don’t want my arms to be too big, making me look like a bodybuilder.

But when I do arms, I like to train both biceps and triceps together, and with a bit of forearms training. Again, I only do simple exercises for my arms.

Overall, I like to do my workouts slow, even abs. All my reps are done with purpose and with a squeeze at the top. I don’t believe in heavy weights but in quality (and that I am not very strong ahaha). I take about a min for rest between sets. Overall, I target to finish my workout (with abs) in about an 1hour (excluding cross trainer). This time frame is about all you need.

I also do a lot of supersets and recently even dropsets to shock my muscles.

Diet:
Am sure the gurus on here can offer a lot better advice than me. But here is mine in a nutshell. I don't have regular meals due to my workload so I will just eat whenever I am hungry and within 30mins after a workout. My meals consist mainly of sardines, dory fillet, tuna, chicken, green vegs and eggs (loads of it and with yolk, about 8 per day). I also eat yogurt, almond nuts (loads of it) and 99% dark chocolate for snacks. I also use pork lard to cook and to go with my steam chicken breast. I avoid rice, noodles and bread. I reckon I have only eaten prob a total of 2 bowls of rice for the past four months.

As you can see, it aint probably the best diet out here haha.

Supplements:
Opti-man Multi-vits, Platinum Hydro Whey, Optimum HMB, Controlled Labs White Blood
I know this might be frowned upon here but due to the relatively high intensity of my workouts (I sometimes even workout twice a day), I need to have supplements to aid my body. Multi vits are really important for optimum absorption of minerals. And as I don’t have proper meals all the time due to work I need the protein. And it is even more important now that my weight has dropped from 80kg to 74kg. Which I think is a bit too light for my liking.

As for the HMB, it is essentially for recovery and lean muscle growth. White blood is basically NO, for a greater pump. I bought it last time without knowing too much. I don’t think it is essential now. But since I already have it, I will have to finish it.

I think that's about it. Just pack in enough sleep everyday, about 8hours, refrain from eating two hours before sleep and your good to go. Hard work is important, as well as a high fat, moderate protein and low carbo diet. I have been on this workout routine for about 4 months now. Will be changing to a StrongLift 5x5 routine soon to shock my body.

I need to put a disclaimer here. I am 33 this year, and i started working out when i was about 18, stick skinny then. I worked out for a year plus put on some serious mass and enlisted. Lost a fair bit of it when I came out. Did not work out again till like a few years later. In short, I have had a start-stop training throughout. In fact, I think I think I have only clocked in about 3-4 years of training in total. Since I broke my arm, I have been out of training for the past 2 years, I started again about 4months back. From a 22% bodyfat and 80kg to 13% bodyfat and 74kg now. My waist went from 35inch to 31.5inch now.

Doing reservist now and everyone is shocked at how i look now. I aim to keep myself around this size (even though ppl say i look too big) but funny thing is that I am only 74kg? I can still go leaner around the waist and defo pack on even more muscles. Will see how it goes.

Now, my diet is a lifestyle for me, so too my exercise regime. And long may it continue! Smile Thanks for reading guys. Hope it helps! Some recent pics:

My training and diet IMG00124-20110127-1440

My training and diet IMG00121-20110105-2143-1

masterpiecemarvin

Back to top Go down

My training and diet Empty Re: My training and diet

Post  Admin Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:20 am

Nothing to comment, you look far better then me. Very Happy Very Happy

Admin
Admin

https://paleolifestyle.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  chickenbackside Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:27 am

Sigh... I can only wish.

I eat more clean than you, but my abs are now where near as washboard-y as yours.

Some people have all the luck.

chickenbackside

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:46 am

chickenbackside wrote:Sigh... I can only wish.

I eat more clean than you, but my abs are now where near as washboard-y as yours.

Some people have all the luck.

Bro., we both go airbrush lah, both go got group discount. Very Happy

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  hamburger Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:06 am

i believe three pax gives further and better discount Laughing

hamburger

Back to top Go down

Post  xtrocious Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:13 am

I still say just buy the tee-shirt Laughing

xtrocious

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:43 am

hamburger wrote:i believe three pax gives further and better discount Laughing

We do mass order here see who else, then one time all go. Very Happy

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:46 am

xtrocious wrote:I still say just buy the tee-shirt Laughing

Washing day no 6 pack lah. I still think, Tattoo better. Very Happy

On a serious note, M's training is a faster way to gaining that body you want, it's painful for
people our age, if you want, go all out. I'm doing exactly the same now, not his workout, but my own,
Weights/run/weights/run/weights/run, sore as hell, have to push myself the next day.
My last and final physical challenge is end of March bro. Leaving me 1 and a half months prep.
I will make it. Smile

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  masterpiecemarvin Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:51 pm

thanks for the compliments guys. it means a lot to me. esp given the shape i was in a few months ago. sorry for the late reply as i was away for reservist. just started hitting the gym again and back on the diet. it was not easy sticking with the diet during reservist. i ended up snacking on almonds and sardines! haha.

i do agree genes play a big part in "bodybuilding". but i am sure with hardwork and determination everyone can achieve their goals! Smile it's just how much work he or she is willing to put it to i guess.

i prob will be changing my routine to a stronglift 5X5 soon. will update again then. Smile

masterpiecemarvin

Back to top Go down

Post  gz0707 Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:16 am

marvin, what shape were u in a few mths ago? way overweight? looks like as a body builder, you can't be way off right?

gz0707

Back to top Go down

Post  gz0707 Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:50 am

woah, that's quite an improvement ...

I can see my friends running 1hr - 3 hrs, trying to burn off the calories ... but I will not comment to them for now, until I have achieved some results. But even then, I can imagine the resistance to the paelo diet.

gz0707

Back to top Go down

Post  masterpiecemarvin Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:08 am

lol at that link. the improvement is quite major. but to be honest, i used to train on-off, so the results came easier and faster (muscle memory). and i would like to believe that i have decent genes, more like a mesomorph.

your friends are doing it wrong. running for long hours does not help much really. the best cardio workout for burning fat is one of high intensity that gets the job done in as little time as possible. High intensity usually means that your cardio workout will involve working about 75% or greater of your maximum heart rate.

as for the paleo diet, yeah i know what you mean. people around me are usually shocked when i tell them what i eat. even the trainers in the gym! but like one trainer aptly put in "how can we argue with that body?". Very Happy yeah so when you get some results through the diet you yourself will be the walking proof of it!

masterpiecemarvin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum