PALEO AND LOW CARB LIFESTYLE

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Palm Oil and usage

4 posters

Go down

Palm Oil and usage Empty Palm Oil and usage

Post  Admin Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:59 am

Of the tropical oils, coconut gets the most attention, while palm oil gets mostly ignored. The virgin coconut oil has a fairly distinct flavor, but it’s one most people are familiar with, and it lends itself well to both sweet and savory dishes. Palm oil, especially the virgin red variety that gets all the attention for its positive health effects, also has a distinct flavor, but it’s one many people seem to dislike, probably because it’s so unfamiliar (in the US, at least; worldwide, palm oil is the most widely used cooking oil) to our palates. Scott Kustes had a guest post awhile back discussing the tropical oils, but I thought it would be good to give a short, comprehensive primer on the multiple varieties of palm oil.

Palm Oil
Palm oil is extracted from the flesh of the plum-sized palm fruit. In the better brands, the processing that goes into the extraction isn’t overly invasive, and people have been doing it in roughly the same manner (the scale of operations has changed, of course). The main steps, for both small and large operations:Palm Oil and usage 3532534528_5b40378a14

Separation of individual fruits (palm fruits grow in bunches).
Softening up the flesh.
The pressing of the fruit.
The purification of the resultant oil.
Now, step four is where everything changes. If you want to make an ultra-refined product for shipping to the masses, you subject the raw oil to a purification process that renders the oil white and nearly flavorless. This highly-refined palm oil, as long as it hasn’t been hydrogenated (partially or otherwise), is a great choice for relatively high heat stir frying, but you will be losing some nutritional value (see Red Palm Oil below). Refined palm oil is about 50% saturated fat, 39% monounsaturated fat, and only around 11% polyunsaturated fat, making it stable for cooking (and storage) and semisolid at room temperature. Feel free to use this as a primary cooking oil.

Palm Kernel Oil
Palm kernel oil comes from the same fruit and the same tree, only this time the oil’s coming from the seeds of the plant – or the kernel. Health officials are quick to warn against excess consumption of palm kernel oil owing to its much higher saturated fat levels, which is usually our cue to do the exact opposite. Palm kernel oil is highly saturated (around 80% SFA, 15% MUFA, and 2.5% PUFA), making it fantastic for high heat cooking. It’s very similar to coconut oil. I haven’t tried it myself, and I can’t get word either way about the flavor, so I’m unclear as to how it differs from normal refined palm oil beyond the fatty acid profile. Anyone know?

Red Palm Oil
This is the virgin, unrefined stuff. Palm oil is naturally reddish, and it comes chock full of vitamins and antioxidants. When palm oil is highly refined, though, it loses its color and taste right along with the inarguably beneficial effects. Vitamin E (may help prevent LDL oxidation), betacarotenes (many more than carrots or tomatoes), and co-enzyme Q10 (a major participant in cellular respiration) are all in red palm oil. Furthermore, the vitamin E in red palm oil is made up of both tocotrienols and tocopherols; the vitamin E in most foods is mainly tocopherol, which may be less effective than the tocotrienols abounding in red palm oil. Red palm oil does have a strong taste – according to one Portuguese explorer, “It smells of violets, tastes like olives and has a colour that blends foods together like saffron, but even all this can’t sufficiently describe its special qualities.” A bit of hyperbole? Perhaps. But the point is that you don’t want to be mixing this stuff with just anything; you might, for example, try this West African dish employing red palm oil.

Most health food stores should carry palm oil, both refined and red, and I know that Whole Foods definitely carries both. If there’s no Whole Foods in your area, check out any local co-ops or the smaller health food shops. On the online front, Tropical Traditions makes a great virgin red palm oil that can be ordered.

I think red palm oil is worth having around. For regular sautéing (eggs, for example), butter would probably work just fine, but certain cuisines use a lot of palm oil, and it’s great having options. Plus, it’s an extremely shelf stable fat. Use liberally and with great gusto!

Admin
Admin

https://paleolifestyle.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Palm Oil and usage Empty Re: Palm Oil and usage

Post  xtrocious Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:59 am

Giant does sell refined bleached and deodorised palm oil...

It's usually under the Sanja and Vesawit brands...

xtrocious

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:19 am

xtrocious wrote:Giant does sell refined bleached and deodorised palm oil...

It's usually under the Sanja and Vesawit brands...

I bought already, see my posting in the Rants section with picture. Super Refined Palm Oil.
Fried Chicken here I COMEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!! cheers cheers

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  masterpiecemarvin Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:56 am

Oh a side note guys, can i eat the pork lard i fry? cos i fry it to extract the oil for cooking... thanks. sorry for silly question...

masterpiecemarvin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:54 am

masterpiecemarvin wrote:Oh a side note guys, can i eat the pork lard i fry? cos i fry it to extract the oil for cooking... thanks. sorry for silly question...

Ahdoi Sexy, of course lah, go check out recipes I wrote on how to makan it more sedap! cheers cheers

https://paleolifestyle.forumotion.com/t35-recipes-for-paleo-and-low-carb-diet

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  masterpiecemarvin Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:02 am

keke thanks admin, whoever you are. i actually been doing that for like a month or two already. eating it with my chicken breast and eggs. it's just that i wana play safe.

masterpiecemarvin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:54 pm

masterpiecemarvin wrote:keke thanks admin, whoever you are. i actually been doing that for like a month or two already. eating it with my chicken breast and eggs. it's just that i wana play safe.

I MO lah, admin is a default nick I cannot change.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  masterpiecemarvin Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:45 pm

keke ok ok hey mo!

masterpiecemarvin

Back to top Go down

Post  hamburger Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:07 am

French fries that are bought from Mac are bad because of the oil they used to fry with.

What if its lard or palm oil, are they still edible?? Btw, its for kiddo not me.... cyclops

hamburger

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:25 am

hamburger wrote:French fries that are bought from Mac are bad because of the oil they used to fry with.

What if its lard or palm oil, are they still edible?? Btw, its for kiddo not me.... cyclops

The worse thing you can do is, use good fats with carbs. Mad Mad If you said it was for deep frying pork, fish chicken, yes,
not carbs.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down