PALEO AND LOW CARB LIFESTYLE

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Flaxseed oil

4 posters

Go down

Flaxseed oil Empty Flaxseed oil

Post  piyopico Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:27 am

Flaxseed (or linseed) (Linum usitatissimum) and its oil are perhaps the most widely available botanical source of the n−3 fatty acid ALA. Flaxseed oil consists of approximately 55% ALA, which makes it six times richer than most fish oils in n−3 fatty acids,[134] although it contains negligible amounts of EPA and DHA, the n-3 fatty acids that FDA considers healthful."[135]

As above, I believe CBS avoids seed derived oil. However, apart from fish, where do you get your omega 3 if you dun take flaxseed?

Ratio of omega 3 to 6 is important but do you guys also focus on ratio of polyunsaturated and monounsaturated oil by percentage?

piyopico

Back to top Go down

Flaxseed oil Empty Re: Flaxseed oil

Post  RoyalFlush Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:07 pm

Differentiation of ALA (plant-sources) from-DHA, EPA (marine-sources) as Dietary Omega-3 Fatty-Acids for Human Health

Side Effects of Flax Seed Oil

"For your body to manufacture EPA and DHA from the ALA in flaxseed requires a complex conversion process in the human digestive system. In actual fact, only ½ of 1% of the ALA consumed can be converted into EPA and DHA. And that would be under ideal circumstances."

"So, to get the EPA and DHA that's naturally found in a regular 3 to 4 oz. serving of omega 3 rich fish (salmon is the richest source), a person would have to drink gallons of flax seed oil. And that would be a very bad idea, since two of the side effects are flatulence and loose stools."

My conclusion is that to get the best benefits of Omega-3 fatty acids, it is preferred to get it from the fishes..

RoyalFlush

Back to top Go down

Post  piyopico Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:40 pm

Pretty tough to get ratio of 3:1 iro omega 6 to omega 3. Most of my fats come from pork and butter, then nuts.

piyopico

Back to top Go down

Post  xtrocious Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:42 am

piyopico wrote:Pretty tough to get ratio of 3:1 iro omega 6 to omega 3. Most of my fats come from pork and butter, then nuts.

Then why not just add O3 supplements?

Eating fish - salmon, mackeral and sardines - is also good...

For myself, I take krill oil Very Happy

xtrocious

Back to top Go down

Post  piyopico Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:55 pm

xtrocious wrote:
piyopico wrote:Pretty tough to get ratio of 3:1 iro omega 6 to omega 3. Most of my fats come from pork and butter, then nuts.

Oredi taking fish oil capsules. Just looking at possible alternatives for O3.

Krill oil is about 3X the costs of fish oil?

piyopico

Back to top Go down

Post  xtrocious Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:33 pm

piyopico wrote:
xtrocious wrote:

Oredi taking fish oil capsules. Just looking at possible alternatives for O3.

Krill oil is about 3X the costs of fish oil?

Then can eat more grass-fed beef Laughing

Krill oil is about 2x bah but comes with a lot more anti-oxidants for an old man like me Cool

xtrocious

Back to top Go down

Post  chickenbackside Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:24 am

Eating plant sources of O3 is a waste of time lah. The conversion rate to usable EPA and DHA is miniscule.

It's like you have to move 100 pots of plants from Changi to Jurong in 2 hours, and you go to the Mazda dealer and buy one hundred MX-5's and hire 100 drivers to do the job. Why not just buy a lorry?

Eat more beef, liver, heart, marrow...

chickenbackside

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum