PALEO AND LOW CARB LIFESTYLE

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Seasoning a cast iron wok

Go down

Seasoning a cast iron wok Empty Seasoning a cast iron wok

Post  Guest Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:16 am

anyone expert?

Bought a 50-60cm one a few weeks back, made in china, only now able to try seasoning it. Wow, it was coated with some grey stuff. So did some online research

1. Washed it, scrubbed it
2. Used 80wt sandpaper (rust forms immediately... Amazing)
3. Oiled it with palm oil
4. Keeps turning black, and I don't think it's seasoned yet, cos can wipe the black stuff off...

Called my mum, said to use fresh medium chain fatty (what was it again? Coconut meat heat for oil, roast it over fire) luckily had my unfinished cold storage bottle... Yuck. Laughing

Used that, and added a lot of salt as abrasive, now just see how it goes.

Anyway, if anyone knows the perfect way, let me know! Thanks!

Back to top Go down

Seasoning a cast iron wok Empty Re: Seasoning a cast iron wok

Post  Guest Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:41 pm

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:50 am

Fresh wrote:Waddyaknow there is some science in this!

http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/02/black-rust-and-cast-iron-seasoning/

Cast Iron woks are best when you use one made out of drawn, thinner, (approx. 2mm thick)
and very very good for stir frying, deep frying etc... the reason is very simple. Thinner skin, wok heats up faster,
when oil is used for deep frying, item placed into oil to deep fry, the temperature of the oil will drop
drastically, what you want is for the oil to heat up fast up to frying temperature to seal the juices etc.. in the meat and not have the meat SOAK (do a couple of laps freestyle laps round the wok) in the oil loosing it;s taste to the oil. (See old women deep fry fish, fish is soaking in the wok, waiting for the temperature to come up again.) Same with stir fry, wok if thick skinned, is too heavy to lift up and flip contents inside.

Now how do you really season a drawn steel/iron wok, simple. Heat it up on the gas stove till it turns all black, then remove, let it cool, using a green pad /Purple abrasive better, (600grit sandpaper) with some detergent added, clean it off to a nice shine.
Rinse and wipe dry, run it over the fire to dry it, now, add a very very thin layer of oil (pork etc..) and burn the wok till it's shiny black, mind you, smoke will come from this, and there you have it. (do a few times) the oil will seep into the pores, and give the wok the rust proofing. Before use, wash with detergent prior and use. I have been using my drawn steel wok for 25 years now, still going strong, and still as good. I don't brag, I walk the talk.

Fresh, housewives will tell you, use pineapple skin, salt etc.. fuck, all the stupid methods, salt when heated gives off?? You know I know. Pineapple sink? WHAT THE FUCK!!

Admin
Admin

https://paleolifestyle.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:31 am

this one I bought was quite thin, 2 - 3mm. made in china, and looked quite poisonous... hands all turned black with watever they used for coating.

I've been seasoning it on and off everyday since Monday. using Coconut oil and palm oil after heating. hasn't turned black much. will probably cook with it after my hob is connected.

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:38 am

Fresh wrote:this one I bought was quite thin, 2 - 3mm. made in china, and looked quite poisonous... hands all turned black with watever they used for coating.

I've been seasoning it on and off everyday since Monday. using Coconut oil and palm oil after heating. hasn't turned black much. will probably cook with it after my hob is connected.

You're supposed to heat it up FIRST and FOREMOST without the OIL, then clean off the carbon, do it a few times, then do the oil, the oil is a protective coating on top of the wok to prevent rusting. Knn, if you wanted to do your own style, then comein here and ask for FUCK???!! Evil or Very Mad

Knn, tell you A, you tell me C. NBCB, you taking lessons from my wife and sister ah?? Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:57 am

just to irritate you... and clock posts... Laughing Laughing

u also didn't say clearly what... and you post after I already started to season my wok what...

Razz

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:18 am

Fresh wrote:just to irritate you... and clock posts... Laughing Laughing

u also didn't say clearly what... and you post after I already started to season my wok what...

Razz

Not working leh...BITCH! cheers

You keep adding oil, want not, petrol kiosk also got oil. I suggest petrol. confused lol!
Please do it outdoors, hate to spoil the interior deco. Very Happy

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum